Contact your local emergency management, civil defense or American Red Cross to:
1. Find out what kinds of disasters might occur and how you’ll be warned.
2. Learn how to prepare for these emergencies.
3. Find out about emergency plans at work and your children’s schools or day care center.
Create a Disaster Plan
Meet with your family to discuss what to do in the types of disasters common to your area.
1. Find the safe spots in your home.
2. Draw a floor plan of your home, marking escape routes from each room.
3. Make sure everybody knows how to turn off the water, gas and electricity at the main switches.
4. Post emergency telephone numbers near the telephone.
5. Teach children how and when to dial 911, police and fire.
6. Pick one out-of-state and one local contact for family members to call if separated during a disaster.
7. Instruct family members to get emergency information from the radio.
Choose two emergency Meeting Places
1. A place near your home in case of fire.
2. A place outside your neighborhood in case you can’t return home after a disaster.