Time to dust off your dog's leash and enjoy a springtime walk. Don't forget these safety and etiquette tips!
- Make certain your dog has a grasp of basic commands and leash training and has been socialized.
- Realize that not everyone loves pets (as hard as that is to believe!), and offer plenty of space for other pedestrians and cyclists to pass. This is also safer for your pet.
- Ask for permission before approaching another dog, and ask others to do the same before interacting with your pet.
- Discourage your dog from chasing wildlife or other pets by maintaining control and keeping him or her leashed (unless it’s safe and appropriate to be off-leash).
- Prevent your dog from jumping up on others. If your dog is too excitable or distracted, opt to exercise him or her at home and try again when he or she is more relaxed.
- Pick up after your pet, and carry plenty of bags for pet waste.
- Put away all distractions (yes, this includes your phone) so you’re better able to monitor your dog and prevent any potential problems.
Find more dog etiquette tips at The Whole Pet Vet Blog